Friday, March 29, 2019

161 More To Go!

OK, it was the Orioles and their lineup was more of a AAA team, but a win is a win.

Most of the action was around our first baseman.  Luke started things off after both Judge and Stanton went through the right side for hits.  After taking a strike from a fastball and then taking a fastball, change and a slider for balls, he saw a low slider over the middle of the plate that Voit launched into CF for a 3 run HR that we never looked back from.  The plate discipline set that up and as I mentioned in my post yesterday, I think he is a really good hitter and a great find from Cashman.

Bird was visible yesterday as well as he struck out 3 times (the 3rd was a ball outside) and also contributed to an error on a long throw by Andujar that I thought was Bird's fault.  Bird didn't stretch to the ball (he does that too often) and the ball ticked off his glove on a fly; I think that was Bird's error.  Later, Bird got a break on a terrible 0-2 pitch by a lefty where a hanging slider was put into the crowd for a HR.

Every Yankee got on base via a hit or a walk so that was good to see and 8 of the 9 starters got hits (Gardner didn't)

I liked the Yankees pitchers only walking one guy all game

Ottavino impressed me with his fastball.  His slider is excellent, but I was surprised to a 95 MPH fastball that had great tail to it.  This gives him two pitches at different speeds that move in opposite directions.  I can see why he is deadly on righties.

Tulo has kind of a sweeping uppercut when he swings; it is a little strange

1-0 and we have a 1 game lead on the Red Sox as they got crushed 12-4 by Seattle (Sale took the loss)

On to Saturday!

1 comment:

  1. The new picture is awesome. The one with Jorge was great too, but this one sort of says it all.

    The one Red Sox fan I know is jumping out the window after one game: "it's an 80 win team at best."

    ReplyDelete