Thursday, June 13, 2019

Quick Lunch Time Response to Questions

In my last post, I asked some questions and I received some responses and while there were some differences, I think most of us were on the same page.  I wrote most of this last night...

My questions were:

  • Do you like pitchers all having a defined inning and that is theirs to hold down every game?
My Brother posted in the comments section on this site and felt similarly to most of us.  It is OK to have a defined closer, but you should adjust based on the situation in the game and not just give everyone a defined inning unless the situation dictates that you can do that.  My example was if Britton has the 8th inning under normal situations, but in the 7th inning 4 lefties who struggle against lefties are coming up, I would pitch him in the 7th.
  • Would you like to see the defensive substitution like the one Boone made that will move so many people around (assume the question is for when Didi is fully back in swing as the answer right now should have been no)
With Didi just coming back this was not a good move as too many moving parts introduces too much risk into the situation that overrides the positive benefit of the better defense at 1st and a little bit at SS.  Putting Gardner in for Frazier for defense is far more logical because it doesn't reduce as much risk.  I would also argue that playing SS or 2nd base is "more" different than playing RF and LF and moving to the 1st base and 3rd base has even more of a change.   Once everyone has started to get adjusted it will make it easier, but staying at the same position is clearly more desirable.  My example is that if DJ plays 2nd base every day, he will play a better 2nd base than if he plays all over and plays 2nd base twice a week.
  • Taking defensive situations into account, is the lineup of Urshela, Didi, Torres and DJ our best infield?
I think the answer is yes (DJ at 1B in that example).  We have to see how DJ can play first base more though.
  • So if we win, does it matter?
My brother said it best..."It's always nice to win, but if you don't address bad decisions and poor plays, you won't win in the future as often."  Isn't that the point of this blog and any constructive criticism?  In anything you do, there are always ways to improve in what you are doing.
  • Switching gears, Was it time to root for Boston to beat Tampa? 
I hate having to agree with my brother again so I will agree with most of it...He said that you root against Boston until they are mathematically eliminated.  My only modification would be to say that if they are statistically very likely to be eliminated.  For example, TB plays the Red Sox on September 20th - 24th for 4 games.  Let's assume that the Yankees are 2 games ahead of Tampa and 6 games ahead of the Red Sox.  There would be roughly 10 games left in the year including the 4 games against Tampa for the Red Sox.  They are not mathematically eliminated, but I would be rooting for the Red Sox to win the 1st two games of the series and then I would see what we have done to decide who I root for next.  

BTW, This is why I really like the baseball playoff system the way it is.  I think it is great that the teams that don't win the division have to play in a one game elimination game while winning the division matters a ton!  This is usually a hot topic among people, but I think it is perfect now.  Some have said a 2 out of 3 would be better, but I wouldn't want the division winners to have to sit around too long.  If you didn't win the division after 162 games, you have already proven to not be ahead of one team so getting in as the WC has to have a much harder road AND you have to reward the division winner.  Those of you long time blog readers (might have been before we had the online version) will remember that I touted this exact method well before baseball adopted it.  While it is doubtful they read my blog, it is exactly what I think should have happened.

No comments:

Post a Comment