Saturday, July 7, 2018

July 6th

One AB doesn't make a game by itself, but after Sonny Gray put us in a huge hole after allowing a 2 out 3 run HR to Smoak in the 2nd inning (to put us down 5-0), we had a shot in the 5th inning.  Romine singled and Walker hit a hard line drive to CF (unfortunately at Pillar), Gardner singled and Judge hit a chopper that they ruled a tough error on the 3rd baseman.  With bases loaded and 1 out Toronto brought in Joe Biagini to face Stanton.  Biagini has had a bad year and starts off Stanton with 3 straight balls that were not too close.  I was watching the game at a friends house and I ask him the question, "do you give him the green light?"  He says, "absolutely!"  Normally, with such a power guy, I would agree, but I don't really trust Stanton because I have never seen someone swing at more really bad pitches in my life.  So while he has tremendous power, his plate discipline/plan is atrocious.  To be fair, I get giving him the green light, but you always have a 3-1 count to swing as well.  Anyway, he gets the green light and swings and misses at ball 4 (fastball).  He then swings and misses at ball 5 (fastball).  He finally doesn't swing at the first strike of the AB and it was a fastball! 

This AB was critical and after having the count in our favor at 3-0 with the bases juiced, we didn't score (Didi flew out to LF). 

Nice job by Hale to pitch 5 2/3 innings and allow only 1 run, but the bats couldn't get it done.

Gray's ERA is now an awful 5.85 and makes the quest for a new pitcher greater, however, I would not get an average to decent arm and give away anything good.  I would go after an ace and give up value for him.

...and Boston won

No comments:

Post a Comment